- Group books into categories (or for Goodreads, “Shelves”) for easy scanning. In my case, I grouped my books into languages (Italian, French, Spanish, etc.) and because I have heaps on Italy, I made a pile for that category too.
- Scan barcodes of all the books in the segregated categories (or “Shelves”). I used my iPhone to do the job.
- Once the books are scanned, click on "Shelve" and select the desired "Shelve" to add them into. This is why pre-grouping the books into categories is recommended so that adding them into the folders one-shot will be a painless exercise.
- Click on “More Shelves” if customized shelves have been created. The default bookshelves are "Want to Read," "Currently Reading," and "Read" and I've created a few more customized ones.
I have created more categories or folders and can be viewed under "More Shelves".
- When this batch is done, click on “Clear” to remove previously scanned books.
- Continue to scan books in piles of other categories. Repeat the above steps. If there is no bar code available or if the scanning does not return any result, you'll have to manually add the book. Check to see if the book is already available or would need to be created.
|Click on the picture to enlarge.|
This will be an ongoing project. I'm working through all my bookshelves and although it's a backbreaking exercise, I'm loving every moment of it!